11/3/09

Self-worth

I have an odd sense of entitlement now that I have earned some money. I know that I have been contributing via maternity leave, but it never really felt like I was an equal part in the financial contributions of the house.

I always felt a little guilty when I bought something for myself knowing that my husband had worked so hard to earn it and I was just at home 'playing' with the kids. I know that I have the hardest job in the world - er, at least that is what is said about SAHM's -, but when people ask if I am working and I say 'no,' I feel like I am copping out on 7 years of education and hard work.

This morning I woke up and felt like it was okay if I spent some money at the fabric store or the outrageously expensive Pampered Chef catalogue - I earned it.

Hmmm. I wonder what this says about my feeling of worth as a SAHM. I had no idea I felt this way. However, it doesn't change the fact that I think we have made the right decision for me to stay home with the kids; instead, it makes me realize that I have not fully acknowledged my contribution as a mother, house wife, maid, cook, mender, personal shopper, nutritionist, teacher, chauffeur...... Just because there is a monetary value attached to working a day as a teacher, it shouldn't demean all that I do for my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment