11/11/09

Oh the Power of TV

So I purchased this cool icing decorator bottle set from Pampered Chef and my husband has been itching to try it out. Also, he had purchased this neat silicone car cake shape a few years ago. Today he decided to give both items a try by making and decorating a cake to look like Lightening McQueen.

When the twins finally got curious about what my husband was doing and he told them he was making a cake, they got very excited and started yelling, "Party, Daddy. Party, Daddy." I was in the office ironing the new drapes in preparation for hemming and perked my ears up at this exclamation. As my husband proceeded with the decorating, and the cake was about half finished they both started excited yelling, "Happy birthday. Happy Birthday." At this point, I was in the kitchen mixing up the colors my husband would need for the icing and we both looked at each other with eyebrows raised.


The twins have never experienced a birthday for themselves. They attended their cousin's birthday last January, but I didn't think that they really even noticed any of it. It was just another family dinner. And, in fact, only one of the twins even ate the cake - Twin1. I mean, if you ask the twins how old they are, they couldn't even tell you. They have no concept of age = birthday. Or so I thought.
As the twins jumped around the kitchen yelling, "Happy birthday. Happy birthday!" I began to really realize the power of TV and cartoons. There was really no other place that they could have picked up the idea that a cake = Birthday. Very interesting.

I tried to explain what a birthday was, but as far as they are concerned. Cake = Party = Birthday. Ah well.








,

No comments:

Post a Comment