11/27/09

Hooligans

In the matter of 4 hours on Wednesday, my children were wild enough for 3 days worth of energy. We were finally well enough for swimming this week and because my husband and I were taking the twins to 'Disney on Ice' (Which was awesome. I can not explain how great it was and how much the twins loved it.) I was flying solo with the swim lesson.

Usually, my husband or myself run into the coffee shop after swimming and pick up banana bread for the twins as a treat. Today, as I was on my own, I decided to go to the coffee shop first because I knew the baby would be very ready for his nap by the end of the swim lesson. I finally coaxed all the kids in the car and attempted to explain what we were doing. They did not understand the concept of acquiring the banana bread pre-swim lesson and not getting to eat it until post-swim lesson. So, they were confused and frustrated about not getting to eat the banana bread.

They fought with each other the entire time in the car: hitting, crying, yelling. I threatened no swimming, or no Disney on Ice, but they knew that that was not going to happen. Oh, wait a second... it all started when they locked me out of the car... Oh ya. What a wonderful phase this is. As soon as they get in the car, they climb all over it and lock all the doors. Yes, I still have keys, but they just don't seem to work when one child is physically holding the lock shut... I should have known to forgo banana bread at this point, but I was really hoping for the best. You know, that they would turn things around, have a great lesson, sing 'Kumbaya' on the car ride home. Who am I kidding, though. This is my group of hooligans.

So, eventually I get the car open, kids strapped in, they fight, and we all arrive outside the coffee house. Once at the coffee house, the twins are enthralled with the doors: one opens in to let people in, once opens out to let people out. You would think that this was a boring everyday occurrence, but to twins it is hours of fun. Oh, and I should mention that we arrived just before 10:00am, coffee time, so the place was just starting to fill up and we had an audience. As the twins played with the doors, letting all the heat out and getting stares for the group of ladies already gossiping, I attempted to corral the twins over to the cash register. The twins ordered their banana bread and I made the mistake of ordering a 'Chai Tea'. While we waited for the tea, the twins ran all around, knocked over the posts that create the line (which are actually quite heavy), pummeled each other a few times, and both burst in to loud obnoxious tears. Why oh why do I even attempt to do anything for myself? I finally got each twin seated on either side of a table, each said apologies to each other, I received my drink, and we started to head out the door. After more hitting, yelling, crying, discussing, apologizing, we are back in the car heading to the swim lesson.

At the swim lesson, neither twin waited for me to get the baby out of the car and ran through the parking lot into the recreation center. Fortunately, once of the receptionists kept their eye on them while I got everything together and ran in after them.

During the lesson, with a new instructor, the twins were awful. They didn't listen at all, swam all over the kiddy pool, causing the instructor to physically have to pick the twins up and plop them down at her desired location. Ug. I think the twins completely wore her out for the remainder of the day. Sorry.

Once dried and dressed, each twin ran out of the change room in different directions. (Please remember that this entire time, I am holding the baby) We got their shoes on and headed out to the parking lot, where they once again ran around dodging in and out of cars. Uuuuuuuh. We had another discussion about cars/parking lots/ holding hands..... Nothing. They continued to run away from me. Finally we were back in the car,...after they locked me out again, and were heading home. More yelling, crying, hitting, fighting because I had now told them they could not have their banana bread. They did not deserve it.

At home, after putting the baby to sleep, I fed them a nutritious lunch and sent them to bed telling them they needed to sleep to get ready for McQueen and Mator. Both actually went to sleep and I got an hour and a half to myself. Twin2 awoke from his nap and said, "Ready McQueen, mom." He was ready to see McQueen because he napped. The remainder of the day was wonderful, but oh the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment