12/8/09

Skiing

We had a beautiful weekend of skiing. The snow was great, but the temp was a bit cold: -15C, -20C the day we left.

We got away Saturday after my husband's work at a great time - 5:30 - which meant that we arrived at the ski hill at 9:30. Wonderful. All the boys slept the whole way, except for a brief interlude from Twin1. He kept us entertained with his driving abilities, "Sign STOP, mom." and "GOOOOO." He is very helpful. I have no idea how his brothers continued to sleep.

The next morning we were up early because the twins had a lesson at 8:30am. We had to pick up their skis and boots at 8:00am, so things were moving very early around the house. I am pretty sure that my sister would not have liked the thundering elephants running around the place that morning. We managed to arrive at everything on time. The twins were very keen to put on boots and walk around. As we waited for the instructor, they even put the skis on and were happily pushed around by Nan and Dad. The instructor arrived and so did the meltdown. I had to go put the baby down for his nap, so I left a protesting twin1 behind. I guess things went down hill from there for twin1. He did not want to be in the presence of the instructor. Twin2, however, did awesome. He went up and down the little slope, guided by the instructor, like he knew what he was doing. I arrived back to see 2 trips down the slope, but then he got very cold. The instructor took his skis off and suggested some jumping, but twin2 took off and never looked back. He was heading to his mommy. He began crying, so we knew the lesson was over.

We had planned for both boys to go into the daycare after the lesson, but they were both so upset that we scrapped that idea and went home for hot chocolate and a movie. All in all, we were pretty happy with the fact that they were willing to put the equipment on and twin2's progress.

At home, we changed all the peed on clothes and I made hot chocolate for them, which they said was, "Yuck, mom." and, "Yuckies." Really. What was I thinking? Plain milk did the trick, though.

We attempted to put all the kids down for an afternoon nap. At which time, my husband and I escaped for some skiing. I still got it. Wahoo. It was great.

We arrived back to a full house of awake kids. Around 3:00pm, we managed to coax the twins back outside. They happily put their skis on and went up and down the little slope in front of the house. I guess the idea of the ski instructor was just too traumatic for twin1. They did fantastic in front of the house, though. Really good. We are going to pick up some boots and skis, so that we can head out any time.

All in all, a completely successful weekend. The drive was wonderfully uneventful. The packing took minimal effort. And we all successfully skied. Wahoo. We have finally entered in to the fun zone with the twins. Now, if we could just conquer this potty thing! My mom keeps suggesting that we give up - I will persevere.....

No comments:

Post a Comment