12/18/09

The Shower

I had no idea when I embarked on motherhood that showering would turn into a well planned, often not well executed, event.

In the early days, showering was non-existent. The majority of my time was spent in pyjamas, not just because of pure exhaustion and lack of sleep, but also because I refused to continue to wear maternity clothes. Pyjamas were not maternity clothes; however, nothing else fit.

Soon, showering only occurred when my husband came home from work. Eventually, I showered when the kids were screaming themselves to sleep for their first nap. That way I didn't have to listen to it. Although, the blood curdling screams could still be heard through the running water often leading to tears (mine), which of course were not tears because I was in the shower!!

The showering during the first nap lasted until the first nap was dropped. Then, started the well planning part. I often tried to shower when I noticed the twins were absorbed in something: TV, play..... or I would just forgo the shower until the afternoon nap. Often I would come out of the shower to screaming, this time of a different kind. Usually because one twin was beating the other. Or worse, no screaming, this usually meant that the twins had banded together and were either wielding knives, smearing bum cream over everything, or writing on the walls/couches with permanent marker. Yes, all of those things has happened.

With the arrival of the new baby, showers have moved once again to nap time. This time the baby's first nap. I can often leave the twins without major incidence now. But, most of the time the twins gravitate to the bathroom while I shower. This is not favorable because the baby sleeps under the bathroom and has often been wakened with the screaming that ensues in the bathroom.

Today, for instance, although the baby was not awakened, I was entertained first with screaming and banging on the outside of the door (for some reason this is the only door that they are unable to open on their own!!) and in entered twin2. Then, the light show began. The light was switch off and on repeatedly and, of course, left in the off position for quite some time. Once out of the shower, I was demanded to watch a demonstration of lassoing the sink with a sewing measuring tape. Eventually, more screaming occurred as once twin took a toy from another twin. I ushered all of us out of the bathroom and breathed a sigh of relief because the baby remained sleeping.

Showering, a well planned event, often poorly executed. I had no idea. I can't wait to see what 3 children will attempt while I sneak my 5 minutes of restoration.

No comments:

Post a Comment