10/3/09

Toddler Hair Cutting Tip

I refuse to spend $10-20 on haircuts for the twins, so I decided I would give it a try. I've watched my hair get cut 1000's of times. Should be easy.

It took a couple of tries, but I now think that I have an okay technique down. I get things pretty even. My boys do have wavy hair, though, so I have a little forgiveness.

The trouble, however, lies in getting the child to sit still for long enough to get the cut done. The first few times, the cut ended up spanning over a few days. I tried putting them in a chair with a favorite toy. I tried a favorite treat - which they do not get very often at all. I have now discovered an even easier way that invovles no bribery. Place the child on the potty, in front of the TV, with some milk. This works wonders. I managed to get some pretty good cuts out of the twins using this method.

So, I decided to try this out on my nephew who I watch on Tuesdays. He was suffering from a very uneven cut. He truly hates to get his hair cut and like the twins, the last time he had his hair cut it took a few attempts, people, and bribes. Also, I wanted to see how my hair cutting techniques faired on straight hair.

I sat him down on the potty (he is not potty training yet, but has shown some interest since his cousins are training), put on a new movie, gave him some milk and went at it. He didn't last as long as the twins, but I did manage to get things evened out. I didn't account for a slight cowlick in the front, but all in all an okay job I thought.

Now, what am I going to do when they refuse to sit on the potty in front of the TV?

No comments:

Post a Comment