10/14/09

Three

I have to say that I am thoroughly enjoying the age of three. The twins have been three for a few months now and I love it. After a great breakfast this morning where the twins chatted away with us about things only children think of, I said to my husband, "I love this age. I wish I could freeze it."

The twins now play together for extended periods of time. They are developing imaginations to facilitate their play. They can manipulate things to build trains and houses, or put together great puzzles (Thanks Aunty and Uncle). They can go outside and play in the sandbox, building roads and digging holes, loading the dump trucks. They even play with Play Doh for hours or turn cookie dough into dinosaurs and tools.

They have started to play dress-up. They, especially twin1, wear a variety of hats (Thank you Aunt) throughout the day, for days on end, or wear various uniforms pretending to be firemen, police officers, doctors, nurses, or veterinarians.
They can now take direction. Although sometimes they choose to ignore it. I can ask them to shut the door to make sure the baby doesn't escape and they are quick to respond with a "Whew, close!" They can help me put dishes away or bake bread. Twin1 loves to help clean and he is really good at it.

The first three years with twins were extremely trying, but now I feel as though the effort is starting to pay off already. My mom was just telling me the other day about when they were one and a half and would gang up on her and pinch her. Those days seem to be over.

No comments:

Post a Comment