10/28/09

Library

I decided it was time to get the twins library cards. Yesterday afternoon, once the baby awoke from his nap, ate, and the twins had peed, we headed off to the library. The twins were quite excited. They like books. We had the talk about how we share books at the library with lots of people, so we have to keep them nice looking and be gentle with them. We were prepared and eager.

The librarian processed all our information as quickly as she could while the twins played with the handicap button on the door and the baby squirmed and squealed (not happily) in the sling. I chose the sling because I new I would need my hands free at some point. The twins were busy and I was trying to keep the baby happy when I heard a little squeak, "Mom?" Twin1 had peed all over the library floor! I apologetically told the librarian that my son had peed on the floor. I mean, really, what could I do? It's not like I was going to run to the bathroom with three kids, get paper towel and start cleaning it up. The librarian was nice about it. Once she was finished processing the info, I packed all of the kids back into the car to head home for new clothes and another pee break. I hadn't thought to bring a change of clothes because they had only just visited the potty. Finally, we were clothed and back in the car. I was determined to check out the library with the kids.

At the library, I showed the twins the kids section. They ran around liked crazed animals looking at the different books and stuffed animals yelling at the top of their lungs, "Horsey - Neeeee; Dog - woof, woof; Birdy - quack, quack; Sharp-tooth (shark) - Grrr...." Yes, I am not kidding. I forgot to have the discussion with the twins about how the library is a quiet place. I finally corralled them into a spot, picked out a book and sat and read it together while the baby checked out the place. The twins each picked out a book, I gave them their library cards, and we checked out our books. No more pee incidents.

Twin1 picked out the 'horsey' book and twin2 picked a 'wolf' book. It was neat to see what they chose for their first books. They nicely looked over their books on the car ride home. Until, of course, they were finished looking at them and the books immediately turned into weapons with which to beat each other. So much for the discussion about being gentle with the books!

No comments:

Post a Comment