10/20/09

A Kitchen Renewed

We had a busy weekend. Finishing the baby's room downstairs has hit a stall while we wait for an electrician to fix some stuff and get a heat source in there. So I took advantage of the repair lull in the house. We painted the kitchen a dark sage green. My husband's aunt, a room designer, came to visit a month ago and made some suggestions for our house: paint colours, furniture placement, finishing touches. As a result, I was inspired and just itching for a chance to get started on her suggestions. My husband hates, despises painting, so he was a bit of a bear to start with. He quickly warmed to the idea once he saw the drastic change between the old dirty ceiling and the new painted one. It was truly disgusting. I have spent the last 2 years in this house trying to get rid of the smoke residue and the only things left are ceilings in various rooms. This winter, I plan to finish the ceilings.

It took five hours and the kitchen was completely painted. It looks great. The twins were wonderful. We let them paint a portion of one of the walls, which they thought was a blast. They are in to painting/drawing circles, so they painted circles around the light switches and plugs. While we finished up, we banished them from the kitchen. I gave them a couple rolls of painters tape and they unravelled them throughout the living room creating a maze of tape. I will have to remember to pick up a few extra rolls the next time I paint.

The baby was not quite so happy with the situation. He has had free rein of the house since he started crawling. Rightly so, he was very put out with not being allowed to play in all the plastic floor cover and green goo. He let us know very loudly that he was unhappy with the situation.

My husband and I made a great team, finishing the kitchen quickly. After, we all headed out for a bike ride/walk, which allows leads to a stop at Grandma and Grandpa Erickson's, and off to Rolly's for dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment