1/14/10

Wit and Wisdom

I went to a parenting lecture tonight about parenting with Wit and Wisdom. It was a very interesting lecture. Much appreciated and needed. I have begun to hit my head against the wall lately because my yelling has become louder and a lot more regular around the house. I have felt a little stressed and overwhelmed by things lately and have felt like my 'punishments' were getting no result. I was struggling with the same problems each day. ie. 'gentle around your brother', 'we don't hit', or the one that I hate 'what were you thinking?' I knew that I needed to change my punishment, but how?

Well, as it turns out I have been punishing (yes, I know I said that above) and not disciplining. So, my new motto.

Have the child recognize the misbehaviour, decide together how to fix it, and fix it.

Oh, and I guess I have to stop with the bribes!!! Sometimes a little leverage is all I have got against the three hooligans, though.

What I did discover, however, is that I am doing a pretty good job. Just need to do some tweaking. Sometimes things get overwhelming and you need to take a step back and look from the outside.

Part of this, I think, has been the lack of 'me' time. December and January have been so crazy that it was hard to find the time. Now that we are back on track and in a routine, I will have to start the 'me' time again. Tonight was great, but not fully about me. So, I am back looking at cooking classes again. Who is in for some Indian in February? February 16 or 28? Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment