1/27/10

The Hidden Gem

The Library.

I had no idea the library had such great stuff. We have now been library card holders for 6 months and have visited every 2 weeks. Initially, it was extremely overwhelming - with pee accidents and such. We would walk in and they (the twins) would immediately start fighting over the handicap button to open the door. We have finally figure that out: one pushes it on the way in, and one pushes it on the way out.

Upon entering we would head over to the children's section and randomly pick out books. Usually, these books were a flop and would not be looked at for the next 2 weeks. Then I discovered the video section. Not huge, but large enough and with enough 'Bob the Builder' movies to satisfy my children.

However, the book picking was still a flop and I had yet to peruse any other part except the children's section and that was only as far as my arms would reach for fear of all three kids riping the entire library apart while they screamed and yelled. (Yes, I have decided that kids make noise and that the rest of the library should deal with it for the 5 minutes that we are there. HA.)

Finally, I got the bright idea to checkout the on-line catalogue. After trying various PIN numbers for several days, I finally stumbled on the right one. There in front of me was a whole new world. One with searches that honed in on my kids interests: dinosaurs, machines, trains... Oh, and I could finally look at books for my self. Ya.

Now, when we enter the library, we have organized chaos. Each twin gets a turn pushing the handicap door opening button, we return books, head over to the children's movies and pick one out, stop by to pick up the requested books, hand out library cards for each child to check out their movie/book, and head out the door. All with regular voice levels and completed in 5 minutes. Wahoo. Even I now get to enjoy the library. I have still not walked the entire place, but the on-line version suits me fine for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment