6/2/11

Ketchup

Twin2 loves (LOVES) ketchup. Pretty much every meat dinner he asks for dip. I ask if he would like mustard and he responds, "Yuck. No my like mustard. I like dip (ketchup)." Unfortunately, tomatoes are one of the foods that my kids cannot tolerate. I personally am not a tomato fan, but like tomato sauce. It is amazing how many things are made with tomatoes/sauce.

I have discovered a substitute and spent the day preparing my concoction. In celebration, we turned the boys much loved cheese bread into real pizza. They even let me put some olives on it tonight. Wow. So, I know you are wondering......what could the substitute be..... he, he. Rhubarb. HA. I knew you wouldn't guess. Yup. Rhubarb ketchup. And it is absolutely delish. I will be searching the neighborhood for unused rhubarb. Please let me know if you have any to spare. Yum.

Rhubarb Ketchup
6c rhubarb, sliced
1 1/2 c honey
3/4 c vinegar
1 1/2 c onion
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
few pepper grinds

1. mix together rhubarb and honey. Let stand 20 min to let juices come out.
2. Add rest of ingredients anf cook on low. Stir often. Cook until soft.
3. Blend when cool enough to handle.
4. Store. Either can or freeze.
5. Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment