4/12/12

A day of Home Learning

We started early with making waffles for breakfast.  And I whipped up some cashew sour cream to use in ceasar salad dressing for dinner.  Then Animal requested a science experiment of his choosing.  He has been asking for a couple weeks, but I didn't have balloons.  Yesterday, however, I had finally picked some up.  So, I got to say 'Yes' to his experiment.  He tried to describe what to do, but in all his excitement things got mixed up.  I asked him to show me the book it was in.  A few minutes later he returned with a Magic School Bus book which, sure enough, had his experiment in it.  We tried the experiment with success and kept all the materials together to show daddy tonight.

 We captured the gas in a balloon from the baking soda/vinegar reaction.  Fun.  Later on our walk he decided that we should add a penny and see if it would float.  That sparked a conversation about weights.  We will add the penny tonight and see what happens.

 I came out of the shower to find LBB and BW snuggled in bed together reading a book.   Adorable.
 Then we headed out for a walk.  I planned to forage some nettles to dry and make tea with - good for arthritis.  And the kids walked a head to a patch of wild ginger and harvested some to freeze for tea.  BW has inherited the family preference for rock collecting.  Above she is analyzing her specimen.
 The boys found some rope and tied me up with it.  Then Builder had the idea to attach it to a metal hold and use it to climb down the bank to the inlet.
 BW along for the ride.  All my kids like the Ergo.
 We all balanced our way across this log.
Animal worked on his engineering skills tweaking his beaver dam.  He has been working at this for a week.  He has managed to create quite a reservoir of water when the water is flowing.

We also read some books.  Added to our word wall, and learned a new strategy board game - Quoridor. The board game went way better than expected.  They got the concept, but found the idea of not winning upsetting.  I tried to explain that it was about the process, not the result.  I think they still had fun.  At least until they realized I was going to win.

At the moment, the three boys biked over to Grandma's to thank her for some spring jackets she gave them.  They were supposed to come right back, but I think they got side tracked with the assortment of machine toys grandma has on hand.

Oh and if you haven't noticed.  The new camera arrived and works great.

No comments:

Post a Comment